A Community Education Provider Network (CEPN) is a partnership of primary care organisations that coordinate education and workforce planning.
Commissioned by Health Education England (HEE), the West of England AHSN facilitated the establishment of CEPNs during 2016 into 2018. Five have been set up in the West of England:
- Bristol, North Somerset & South Gloucestershire (BNSSG)
- Bath & North East Somerset (via BaNES Enhanced Medical Services).
The West of England AHSN’s involvement in this programme started in April 2016 for two years. In this time good progress has been made to develop local networks, identify priorities and design solutions. Real change has started to happen.
CEPNs provide a model for system leadership and infrastructure that individual services would be unable to manage and sustain in isolation. The network allows learning to take place in a range of settings, enabling shared learning and dissemination of best practice around the needs of local populations.
What are the core functions of Community Education Provider Networks?
- To better support general practice by providing support for workforce planning and development, responding to local needs and enabling the redesign of services within primary care and the community.
- To improve education capability and capacity in primary and community settings through the development of multi-professional educators and the creation of additional learner placements.
- To support general practice by improving education quality and governance and act as a local coordinator of education and training for primary and community care.
Impacts and outcomes
- Joined up infrastructure
- Robust workforce planning for the future
- Increased education capability and capacity
- Consistent education quality
- Combined negotiating power
- Developing new roles to support new ways of working
- Transforming workforce development
- Better outcomes for patients and the public.
For more information about the work to support CEPNs in the West of England contact Sian Jones, Primary Care Programme Lead: email@example.com.
Direct links to your local CEPNs:
Bristol, North Somerset & South Gloucestershire
CEPN Project Manager
0300 421 1433
Bath & North East Somerset