The West of England Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) and the South West AHSN are working in collaboration with Southwest Operational Delivery Network to improve the outcomes for premature babies across the region through a neonatal care bundle: PERIPRem.
Official PERIPrem resources have received Neonatal Nurses Association (NNA) endorsement.
This section contains all of the current tools and documents that will support you as a clinical team on your PERIPrem journeys. All documents are also available on Life Qi (see final section on this page for more information). Bundle specific tools can be found under each Bundle Element (these are displayed on the PERIPrem home page).
Our aim is to support you to further develop your confidence and skills in applying quality improvement techniques to ensure that PERIPrem is embedded into your units and that the innovation you develop continues to shape the care that you deliver.
1. Getting Started
The following papers are designed to give you the background and context into PERIPrem and Perinatal QI. This section will give you all of the information that you will need to know about PERIPrem including guidance on establishing a PERIPrem Team.
- Implementing PERIPrem
- 7 Steps to improvement poster
- Process Mapping document
- PERIPrem in Numbers Infographic
- PERIPrem Briefing Paper
- PERIPrem 11 element poster A3
2. Preparing and Planning
These next tools are to be used to set up PERIPrem within your team and units. They will aid baselining, building your team and identifying what bundle elements you are performing well in as well as those you want to put further work into.
- PERIPrem Unit Snapshot Tool
- PERIPrem Learning Log
- PERIPrem team action plan
- PERIPrem readiness for change/ identifying barriers and facilitation tool
- PERIPrem Capsule summary
- PERIPrem QI Capsule summary
The following tools are designed to support the implementation of PERIPrem within your unit and more widely.
- PERIPrem Bundle Gestation and Ventilation Guide
- PERIPrem Communications Plan
- PERIPRem Engagement Plan Template
- Team Dynamics Video
3. Implementation and Measurements
PERIPrem Clinical Passport
This document is to be used by each perinatal team for every preterm born in the South West region, and is designed to serve both as a prompt on the PERIPRem Bundle as well as data capture tool. We encourage you to start using this within your teams immediately.
PERIPrem Baby Passport
This document is to be given to the parent of every preterm born in the South West region, and is designed to help inform and fully involve parents in the care of their preterm baby by outlining the relevant PERIPrem Bundle elements their baby should receive. We encourage you to start using this within your teams immediately.
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport (B&W)
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport (Colour)
- PERIPrem A5 Baby Passport (B&W)
- PERIPrem A5 Baby Passport (Colour)
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Arabic
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Bengali
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Lithuanian
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Polish
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Portuguese
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Romanian
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Somali
- PERIPrem A4 Baby Passport_Turkish
PERIPrem Maternal Early Breast Milk Patient Leaflet
This document is to be given to the parent of every preterm born in the South West region, and is designed to help inform and fully involve parents in the care of their preterm baby by outlining, in detail, the benefits of Maternal Early Breast Milk as part of the PERIPrem Bundle. It is also available in multiple languages. We encourage you to start using this within your teams immediately.
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Arabic
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Bengali
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Lithuanian
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Polish
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Portuguese
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Romanian
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Somali
- PERIPrem Breast Milk Leaflet Turkish
PERIPrem Optimisation Tool
Recognising that you will need access to unit level data immediately, this is a very simple tool that will enable you to collate and share anonymised data from the PERIPRem Passports, in order to show how you are performing as a perinatal team in real time. The Optimisation tool will need to be returned at the end of each month.
The Optimisation tool will also generate a printable infographic for each element that you can use to demonstrate the progress on each bundle element as well as your overall optimisation target.
- PERIPrem Bundle Optimisation Tool
- PERIPrem Data Summary Guide
- Optimisation Tool Webinar
- Using Data Video
PERIPrem Debrief Tool
Reviewing progress as you go and identifying further opportunities for improvement ( making small scale changes through PDSA cycles) is central to designing a version of the PERIPrem Bundle that is right for the culture and processes of your unit. The following tool will support the reviewing of patient cases to inform further improvements.
4. Embedding and Sustaining Improvements
We selected Life Qi to support the design and implementation of PERIPrem. We encourage all units to use Life Qi as a comprehensive platform to guide you through QI. It includes driver diagram templates for each of the bundle elements, including measures as well as the function to input PDSA information.
(Excluding dashboard and data resources on page above)
Please tell us a bit about yourself to download our PERIPrem resources