Transformation is high on the agenda for health and care communities. There are significant demands on organisations to work together to better integrate services and streamline pathways for safer, more patient-centred care, while improving efficiency and reducing costs.
Since March 2020 much of our work has been focused on supporting our healthcare system’s response to COVID-19, and plan ahead for a post-COVID-19 landscape. Read more about our work related to COVID-19.
The role of the West of England AHSN, and the AHSN Network which makes up the 15 AHSNs in England, is to aid and support our healthcare systems and member organisations through this journey as both a champion and critical friend. Read more about the AHSN Network.
Three programmes have been selected for national adoption and spread across the AHSN Network from April 2020:
Across the West of England, we have a number of projects which aim to address priorities highlighted by our members and health care systems. These include:
- Supporting high impact users in Emergency Departments (known as SHarED)
- Creating an Evidence Repository for those working in the NHS, public health or universities
- Perinatal Excellence to Reduce Injury in Premature Birth (known as PERIPrem)
- Preventing Surgical Site Infection across a region (known as PreciSSIon)
Our national programmes in 2018-2020 were:
- Atrial fibrillation (AF)
- Transfers of Care Around Medicine (TCAM)
- Serenity Integrated Mentoring (SIM)
- Emergency Laparotomy Collaborative (ELC)
Embedded in the regional health and care economy with links to industry, research bodies and universities, we are in a unique position to:
- Build workforce capability to deliver change and adopt new ways of working
- Bring evidence into practice
- Identify gaps and priorities and signpost proven solutions or develop new ones – including through Rapid Uptake Products and the MedTech Funding Mandate
- Provide space for people to connect, develop innovative thinking skills and collaborate through the West of England Academy
- Share lessons and best practice
An important focus of much of our transformation work is in improving patient safety. Read more about our Patient Safety work.