Transformation is high on the agenda for health and care communities. There are significant demands on organisations to work together to better integrate services and streamline pathways for safer, more patient-centred care, while improving efficiency and reducing costs.
The role of the West of England AHSN, and the AHSN Network which makes up the 15 AHSNs in England, is to aid and support our healthcare systems and member organisations through this journey as both a champion and critical friend.
We are delivering a number of programmes on behalf of the AHSN Network:
- Management and identification of cardiovascular disease and optimising blood pressure
- Polypharmacy: getting the balance right
Improving patient safety
An important focus of much of our transformation work is in improving patient safety. The majority of this work is commissioned by NHS England although we also undertake patient safety projects identified by our member organisations as a local priority.
Across the West of England, we have a number of local projects which aim to address priorities highlighted by our members and health care systems. These include:
- Support systems to adopt evidenced based innovations to narrow local healthcare inequalities through the Innovation for Healthcare Inequalities Programme (InHIP).
- Preventing surgical site infection (known as PreciSSIon)
- Improving NIV (non-invasive ventilation) care
- Perinatal Excellence to Reduce Injury in Premature Birth (known as PERIPrem)
- South West Learning Disabilities Collaborative
- Medicines optimisation
- Training and resources for care providers including RESTORE2
- Addressing maternal inequity through Black Maternity Matters and our Regional Perinatal Equity Network
- Provide free learning opportunities and resources for developing innovative thinking and improvement through the West of England Academy.
Former national programmes
To March 2023 the AHSN Network’s national programmes included:
From 2021 to 2023 AHSNs also signposted and drove adoption and spread of proven treatments and diagnostics through the Rapid Uptake Products Programme and Med Tech Funding Mandate.
The AHSN Network’s national programmes from 2018-2020 were:
- Atrial Fibrillation (AF)
- Transfers of Care Around Medicine (TCAM)
- Serenity Integrated Mentoring
- Emergency Laparotomy Collaborative