We developed a national online prescribing tool called OpenPrescribing with the support of clinicians and commissioners, which is designed to deliver best possible patient care, whilst saving the NHS money.
It enables clinicians and Clinical Commissioning Groups to:
- see variations in costs and quantity of prescriptions across the UK
- determine the use of cost effective generic medications
- learn which General Practices and CCGs are performing the best in terms of appropriate prescribing and value for money
- create and test quality improvement initiatives
- identify the use of medications which should be prescribed less from a safety perspective
- use maps to analyse prescription performance on a geographical basis and spot trends over time
- access raw data to generate hypotheses and test interventions.
OpenPrescribing is on the RightCare list of prescribing tools.