- Departmental efficiency pressure.
- High staff turnover for roles performing repetitive administrative tasks.
The technical solution:
- Technical and consultancy services procured from Royal Free London FT Automation Service (at agenda-for-change rates), using Blue Prism.
Processes automated using RPA:
- Email debt reminders to customers.
- Email purchase order receipting reminders to customers.
- Copy new invoices from ‘accounts payable’ inbox into dedicated folder for audit purposes.
- Collate and send daily summary report of new invoices to named email inbox.
- Validate and authorise pharmacy invoices for ten named suppliers (can be scaled).
- Validate and authorise payment for bank staff.
- Improved staff retention and motivation as time released to complete more rewarding tasks.
- Cost savings as some posts not filled through natural attrition.
- Faster payments to suppliers as automated work is completed faster than humans, and continues out of hours.
- Absence cover is not required as processes are automated.
- Increased accuracy of information for finance team as eliminate human error.
Contact for further information:
- Isobel George, Senior Robotics Developer, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. Email: email@example.com
- Darren Atkins, Chief Technology Officer, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust.
This case study is one in a series exploring the use of RPA in various NHS settings. It forms part of a guide produced by the West of England AHSN sharing our learning around RPA.
Read the full guide online here or download the guide as a PDF here.