As an AHSN, we have a leadership role to play in championing and developing diversity within our NHS innovation pipeline.
The AHSN Network has committed to this agenda through a series of Diversity Pledges, and every AHSN is developing an action plan setting out how we will achieve these goals.
The pledges are:
We commit to implementing a recognised process to self-assess and improve equality performance in each of our organisations
- We will set annual equality and diversity objectives, report on these to our Boards and publish achievements and challenges in our annual reports
- We will have a designated person within each organisation with whom concerns about equality and diversity can be raised
- The AHSN Network will annually review and publish its collective performance including performance for any national programmes, for example ensuring diverse representation in decision making processes for the NHS Innovation Accelerator.
We commit to empowering and supporting our staff to be positive role models for equality and diversity
- We will undertake positive action to ensure our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, including steps to ensure diversity at all levels
- We will encourage our staff to positively challenge and promote positive action when they see a lack of diversity
- All AHSN staff will have undertaken unconscious bias training by the end of 2020.
We commit to understanding the impact of our work on all members of our communities and for our work to reflect the equality and diversity within these communities
- We will carry out Equality Analysis on all national and key local projects and programmes
- We will actively engage with, and involve, diverse communities in our work, ensuring we include people from marginalised and seldom-heard groups
- Our publications and communications will promote diversity, highlight diverse role models, challenge stereotypes and champion the positive impact of diversity on innovation.