|– Lars Sundstrom (WEAHSN)||– Steve West (UWE, Business West, WELEP LEP)|
|– James Barsby (WEAHSN)||– Richard Luxton (Medilink, tech Hub)|
|– Emma Roberts (WEAHSN)||– John Iredale (Jeremy Tavare as deputy BRC)|
|– Janina Cross (WEAHSN)||– U of Bath rep x2 (TBC, Christos V., Lisa Austin?)|
|– Deborah Evans (WEAHSN)||– Steve Falk (LCRN)|
|– Peter Brindle (Dep Sian Jones WEAHSN)||– Sarah Perkins (GW4 and SIA)|
|– Anna Burhouse (WEAHSN)||– Corrine Squire (Welsh Med Tech evaluation hub)|
|– Link Directors (WEAHSN)||– Paddy Bradley (SWLEP)|
Background and purpose:
The accelerated access review suggests that AHSNs should set up ‘Innovation Exchanges’. The current draft proposal in discussion with OLS suggests that Innovation exchanges should be ‘a community of stakeholders hosted by an AHSN to facilitate the creation, fostering and adoption of innovation’.
In several AHSNs (e.g. York and Humber, NW Coast, London Digital Health Accelerator) this has already taken the form of a partnership between AHSNs and local growth hubs supported in part by local regional growth funds.
There is currently an opportunity to develop a similar approach in the West of England based on our emerging local innovation programmes in partnership with other stakeholders.
- Determine how a local health and life science Innovation exchange (HELIX) could support
- Local growth initiatives (e.g Lep funded programmes, SIA, other )
- Map local initiatives that could benefit from HELIX
- Explore how local businesses would benefit
- Determine if HELIX could work alongside existing research hubs to mutual benefit (e.g. LCRN CLAHR BRC)
- Map local initiatives and appetite for collaboration with HELIX
- Determine how HELIX could work with University infrastructure
- Evaluation, Digital, Industry interface
- What resources exist in universities already to support above
- What could an operating model for Helix look like
- AHSN support
- Support from other organisations and local initiatives
- Support from businesses
Method of Working
- Start April 1st
- Living document on basecamp
- Face to face meetings with Lars and or James
- Structured questionnaire
- Half way review and direction check end April.
- Final review and sign off end of May
- Present to board for June meeting